Have you ever dreamed of owning your own business and living in place where others only dream of traveling to? Well what if I told you it could be a possibility? Not only a possibility but one lucky person will actually win the opportunity to make all this come true.
First let me tell you about where this beautiful location. Luang Prabang is located in Northern Laos and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Surrounded by mountains and situated where the Mekong and Nam Kang rivers meet, this was the ancient royal capitol of Laos until it was moved to Vientiane.
In 1995 Luang Bang was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its architectural, religious and cultural heritage. The former royal palace is now a National Museum and Buddhist monasteries and temples are abundant as this is the spiritual center of Buddhism in Laos.
The historical section of the city consists of 33 temples, royal palaces and houses and is totally dedicated to tourism. Imagine waking up each morning and opening your business in the largest tourist destination in Laos and one of the most beautiful cities in SE Asia.
The area was only open to tourism in 1989 and in addition to the historical aspects of Prabang Luang there are also picturesque waterfalls an elephant sanctuary, the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre, which takes care of the endangered Asiatic black bear and numerous nature trails. The evening night market caters to the many tourists and closes around 10pm.
Of course there are all the modern conveniences and since this is one of the largest tourism draws in SE Asia there are a lot of potential customers for your new business to draw upon.
So how can you make all this come true?
Enter The Ultimate Dreamlife Abroad Competition, that’s how.
In 2001 a Canadian in the middle of a round the world trip stopped in Luang Prabang for a two-day visit. After immediately falling in love with the place she decided to stay and open the first licensed book shop in Laos. Later she opened an art gallery selling original works by local artists to the throngs of tourists.
After opening and running successful businesses and raising a family she decided to pursue her other dream of film making and moved to Los Angeles while her mother stayed and continued to run the businesses.
Isabel Dréan is a successful film maker, director and screen writer and has decided to pay it forward by offering a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone to move to paradise and own a successful business.
Isabel decided instead of just selling her business she would have a contest, where someone who might not have the necessary resources, could move to Laos, run their own business and have the resources and money to do so.
In one of the most epic contests I have ever seen.
Isabel is offering the following:
- Two businesses under one roof: L’Étranger, Books & Tea and Kopnoi Gallery
- $10,000: $5,000 when the winner accepts the grand prize and $5,000 in the business bank account.
- Lao Foreign Business License – 100% Foreign owned which includes: Export/Import Company, Bookshop, Café, Media Production License.
- Store inventory (books, Lao handicraft, art pieces*)
- Foreign Investor Status (without this competition would require a 250,000$ investment and a long administrative process.)
- Resident Visa for the winner (Fee paid for the first year (value $700) + (If the winner wishes, 3 other visas for partners could be added in the license at the cost of approx. $700/year-each not included in the prize.)
- Rent-free for first year for the THREE HOUSES: commercial, residential & Office/Workshop/Storage.
- Commercial House : 2 businesses under one roof, furnished with bookshelves, store shelves, tables, sofa and chairs. 1 Cashier POS System, 1 Computer for music, Large screen TV with DVD. (Lease).
- Residential House: 2-bedroom house, 3 bathrooms, outdoor patio, fully furnished with art, antiques, Lao artifacts, (Lease).
- Extra House: Office/Workshop/Storage + guest room for friends and family when visiting. (Lease).
- Motorcycle – brand new motorbike 125cc all licensed, perfect to make your daily purchase and going around town.
- Free food and drinks from café for as long as you stay.
- Domains: BooksLaos.com, Kopnoi.com including L’Étranger, Books &Tea website.
- Up to three months training given by the current owner.
- All earnings from the 2 shops starting from take-over.
Team of 10 trained staff; including General Manager (with us for 7 years), Kitchen manager (13 years), Bookshop clerks, gardener (10 years), housekeeper & kitchen staff.
Let Isabel explain in her own words:
Can you see yourself owning a successful business in one of the world’s most beautiful cities? Spending your spare time exploring the countryside or taking weekend getaways to Thailand?
This might be the only time you ever have the opportunity to get away from the everyday hassles, traffic, boring job and daily grind, to live the way you only dreamed of.
Imagine getting all this for entering a contest.
There are three stages of the contest with a finalist for each stage drawn. The three finalists will be given a 10 day all expense paid trip to Laos where they will meet with the judges and a final winner will be drawn.
And while there is an entry fee, about what you would spend for a dinner for two, the rest is up to you to write a convincing essay and tell the judges why you are the right person to win this contest.
Isabel decided she wanted someone to have the same experience she had while living and working in paradise and this is her way of giving back.
If you can see yourself living in a UNESCO World Heritage City, living a life a little more simpler and less stressful, surrounded by waterfalls and nature trails then this might be for you.
Check out Isabel’s story and her contest and good luck on winning.